Packwood House Museum
15 N. Water St.
In 1936, Lewisburg natives Edith & John Fetherston purchased this former tavern and filled it with art and antiques from Pennsylvania and around the world.
The Fetherstons left their home and collections in a trust to create “a Public Museum for the educational benefits of all persons.”
Today, visitors can see not only the historic building, but also the Fetherstons’ intriguing collection of treasured glass, ceramics, textiles, furniture, paintings, Pennsylvania German decorative art, and Oriental art.
Slifer House Museum
80 Magnolia Drive
This remarkable Victorian mansion was designed by eminent Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan in 1860 for Eli Slifer, a prominent businessman and politician, who lived in the house until his death in 1888.
In 1926, the Evangelical Association founded the first hospital in Lewisburg on the grounds of the Slifer estate. In time, residential and nursing care apartments were constructed, as well as a skilled care facility – a complex now known as the Riverwoods Senior Living Community.
The Slifer House opened to the public as a Museum in 1976. Since that time, the house has been furnished with appropriate decorative arts from the Victorian Era. Visitors enjoy an authentic collection of family artifacts that have been returned to the house from descendants and friends of the former residents.
The original limestone farmhouse built in 1793 was a slave site and today is preserved with more than 100 acres of original farmland. The house is open for tours on Sundays from June to October and holds summer exhibits.
William Cameron Engine Company Museum
11 Buffalo Road
The William Cameron Engine Company is an all-volunteer fire department and Emergency Medical Services provider. The company maintains the William Cameron Museum at its fire hall featuring an exhibit of antique fire-fighting equipment and the history of the William Cameron Engine Company. You can see the original, horse-drawn pumper wagon used to fight fires in Lewisburg at the turn of the century.Look carefully at the two pumper wagon photos. One is an old photo of the wagon returning from a fire around 1920. This exact piece of equipment is featured in the Fourth of July parade photo. The wagon is in the permanent collection at the museum. No website yet, so phone 570-524-2295 for more information.
(Fire Museum photos courtesy of Creative Images Plus, Packwood House photo courtesy of the Susquehanna River Valley Visitors Bureau)